Chief Engineer Apply
The Craftsman Inn & Suites
Posted August 29, 2019
Widewaters Hotels is looking for a knowledgeable and industrious CHIEF ENGINEER to work at The Craftsman Inn & Suites and The Craftsman Wood Grille & Tap House in Fayetteville, NY! We offer competitive wage & benefits, excellent PAID TIME OFF and more. Apply Today!
The Chief Engineer is responsible for implementing and maintaining the maintenance operation for the exterior and interior facilities, including but not limited to life safety issues, electrical, refrigeration, plumbing, HVAC, structural, finishes, landscaping and grounds, and all areas of the hotel’s physical plant.
What you will be doing
- Implement and maintain Engineering Department standards and all other policy and procedures
- Conduct walk-throughs and visually assess the safe and efficient maintenance and operation of the physical structures of the hotel, all mechanical, electrical, HVAC system and any other related equipment
- Implement and maintain the Preventative Maintenance, Room Care, and Landscape and Grounds program.
- Hire, Orient, Train, and develop the Department employees and perform reviews and feedback based upon their performance.
- Coordinate all scheduling, time off requests, and monitor and approve all overtime.
- Ensure property is clean, orderly, and is a safe environment for guests and associates.
- Directs and administers complete routine maintenance on public spaces, meeting rooms, outlets, pools (if necessary) BOH spaces and grounds.
- Respond in a courteous manner to guest questions, complaints, or requests
- Ensure that all systems and equipment are functioning properly and efficiently.
- Coordinate and direct special projects, including, but not limited to: renovations, remodeling, and painting.
- Adhere to all corporate-required purchasing policies and controls, including, but not limited to, all outside contractors bids, budgets and schedules. Follow prescribed safety procedures for personnel and equipment by the company and OSHA.
- Maintain effective Energy Management and Preventative Maintenance programs and conduct special training for other operating departments on the safe and efficient use of equipment and energy in the hotel.
- Maintain Critical Maintenance Log and all related documents and participate in Monthly Leadership calls.
- Monitor the level and quality of services performed by outside contractors in accordance with the agreements, service contracts, warranties, service repairs, etc.
- Respond to guest issues in a timely, courteous manner and communicate with department heads to advise of maintenance needs and ensure timely response to internal requests.
- Be aware of Quality Assurance Audits and outline areas of concern with the General Manager and prepare action plans prior to audit for positive scoring.
- Assist the General Manager with Annual Capital Plan Development this includes but not limited to Assisting with project scope development, obtaining competitive quotes and inputting all required documentation for review and approval.
- Implement and Maintain the Hazardous Communication Program, Crisis Management, and participate in all Safety Programs of the hotel.
- Maintain communication with the Housekeeping department and work collaboratively together with Housekeeping Manager to develop an organized process for P.M’s and to assist during deep cleaning schedules with moving furniture and flipping mattresses if needed.
- Administer and complete training on all company/brand requirements.
- This position should expect to make self available to report to the hotel in the event of any critical hotel emergency which necessitates the skills and expertise of the Chief Engineer which may occur at any time.
- Must be able to participate in the hotel’s MOD program.
- Support COMPANY PILLARS by following and executing: Revenue Improvement, Cost Management/Profitability, Exceeding Guest Expectations, Associate Engagement, and Outstanding Physical Product.
- Must adhere to all company policies and procedures as well as the Widewaters Hotels, LLC Employee Handbook.
- Other duties as assigned
- Understand fire exit and extinguisher locations, and follow all hotel safety rules and procedures.
- Assists others as needed such as General Manager & other departmental leaders on special projects, as necessary.
- Must have a positive attitude at all times.
- Comply with all department, hotel, and company policies and procedures.
- Perform any assigned task not outlined above that the associate has the ability to perform.
- If you are employed by a branded hotel property, please refer to branded job description for additional duties and information.
- This employee manages the entire engineering and maintenance staff.
- This employee is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the facilities of the hotel.
- The employee will carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an employee must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school or equivalent education.
- Bachelor’s degree or related technical school degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in hotel, hospital or building maintenance, including 3 years in a supervisory capacity.
- Knowledge of intermediate math, metrology, and analytical skills, as well as budgetary analysis capabilities.
- Critical Thinking - using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must possess advanced computational ability.
- Must possess advanced computer skills.
- Ability to identify potential losses and liabilities.
- Ability to supervise situations and accomplish goals on a timely basis.
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their state and local analogues (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA and NLRA.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- HVAC Certification Preferred
- Pool Maintenance Certification (if applicable)
- CPR certified Preferred
- Training in refrigeration, plumbing and electrical
- Must have a valid driver’s license
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to sit or walk. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Widewaters Hotels' Mission and Values
Widewaters Hotels' Mission is an innovative hospitality management leader, built on proven pillars of success. We are passionate about delivering exceptional returns for our owners and partners, creating the ultimate guest experience and providing rewarding opportunities for our associates.
Our values guide the way we work with and for our guests, owners & associates. Through Passion, Energy, Attitude, Effort & Work Ethic we have created a vibrant company culture and a compass for our actions.
We appreciate your interest in Widewaters Hotels, LLC. Widewaters Hotels, LLC offers equal opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color religion, age, sex, disability, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, military or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, domestic violence victim status, predisposing genetic characteristics or genetic information, or any other status protected by law.
The Craftsman Inn & Suites
90 Room Hotel
A bold transformation has taken place at the Craftsman Inn & Suites. You can still find us near the Fayetteville historic district, Syracuse University, and local attractions such as Green Lakes State Park, but now you’ll find a newly renovated rustic elegance, accented by classic Stickley furnishings. Event spaces have been reimagined to host powerful meetings and impressive social events. And equally remarkable is the Craftsman Wood Grille and Tap House – your on-site place to savor classic American fare and unwind with your favorite cocktail.